Everybody's Doing It.

Everybody's doing it.  Starting a blog, that is.  And I mean, specifically, a blog about their art.

I pondered all the cute and catchy blog names, and in end, I couldn't think of anything beyond the fact it would be a blog talking about what was going on in my studio.  And my name is Sommer.  So "Studio Sommer" it is . . . winning the prize for least creative blog title ever.  Yay.

I know why y'all check out these blogs and will try to include the sort of things you'd like to see.  Like how-to articles, updates of stuff in progress (with lots of pictures) and hopefully a giveaway every now and then.

But since this bloggity blog will be mostly about what's going on in the studio, as well as (hopefully) hints and tips for model horse hobbyists, let me start by showing you around my current studio.  Previously, I worked in a spare bedroom of the house.  Later a tool shed was "repurposed" into a new studio.  For the most part, my studio is rather dusty and utilitarian, with a touch of friendly clutter.

These photos are not typical . . . this is  about as good as it ever gets.  Recently, I had eye surgery, and my mom came over to help me clean it out.  It was a huge help because I was able to swing right back into working again!  This is Arizona, after all, and dust builds up FAST here.  So about once a month, I have to wipe everything down, but it had been a couple of years since I had dragged EVERYTHING out and cleaned top to bottom.


When you first walk in, there's a long counter and sink.  The letters saying "Art Room" were cast off signage that my boyfriend nabbed at a job.  (He does commercial store installations, among other things.)  My most pressing works go there - stuff I'll be doing RIGHTNOW.  This was shortly before Breyerfest, so in progress were customs and sale resins.

Off to the right, you see this giant banner with my name on it and a picture of a button.  What's that about?  Well, for umm, three or four years, I think it was, I was a server at The Olive Garden.  They encouraged us to customize our own button, and soon as I walked in with my hand-painted buttons, everyone on the staff started paying me for custom orders!  I probably painted 100-200 of the darn things between moving around three stores and all the various employees.


My last year working there, they had a button-painting contest with a theme, "The World of Wine".  Now keep in mind this was on an actual BUTTON.  So the faces on that giant blown up poster actually could have fit on your pinky nail.

While I wasn't the winner of the contest (they chose a still life of a wine glass on a table) the managers at my store in Peoria were so awesome.  They bought me a $100 gift certificate to an art supply store and posted that huge banner on the wall.  Unfortunately, to my knowledge they never held the contest again, but it was pretty fun.  The next year, I finally sold my first commercial sculpture and that was it for my button-painting days.

There is the mandatory pile of magazine clippings and reference over there, misc. godknowswhat art supplies.  To the right, piled up in the corner, are the dreaded Body Bins where innocent plastic horses await destruction, and then, rebirth.

To the left, the table where I actually sit and airbrush, which is constantly covered with debris and various horsies.


A close up reveals I was working on a "Mango" resin and a new custom that Becky Turner had just sent me.


On the shelves, rows of tiny prepped minis.  Some were painted in time for Breyerfest but most remain.



Inside the cabinets, storage for beautiful resins that desperately need attention.



By the T.V. is this little handsome man-doll that I bought on clearance at Wal-Mart.  I haven't given him a name yet, but I imagine that he murmurs words of encouragement, like "My, how attractive you look today in those paint-spattered lounge pants!"




And that's it for now.  Hope you enjoyed the tour!











Comments

  1. I snorted a giggle at Man-Doll's comments. I dunno HOW I missed that you got a blog but YAY! I've had so much fun reading backwards here... like your button people? Omg! That IS crazy small design work!!!

    Meanwhile, the Kipling & the Mango there were at a show I was at a week back & they did fabulous. Blanking on all names & stats but they did the owner(s?) proud. I remember that at least.

    (most unhelpful comment ever - sorry!) :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prepping A Resin - Illustrated

"Luna" - A Wolfie Web Special

Tribute to the Hobby Artwork of Gretchen Oneail